Mothers are the backbone of our families, providing endless love, support, and encouragement. They’re the ones who kiss our boo-boos, dry our tears, and cheer us on through every triumph and challenge. With Mother’s Day just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to celebrate and appreciate all the incredible mothers in our lives with some beautiful words for mother’s.
To help you express your gratitude and love, we’ve compiled a list of the best Mother’s Day quotes from people from all walks of life, including authors, politicians, celebrities, and more. These quotes are sure to inspire, uplift, and remind you of the immeasurable impact your mother has on your life.
Quotes for Mother’s Day
Editors note: You are welcome to share and use the images and mother’s day messages below. Please give credit back to our page. Non-commercial use only.
1. “Mother is a verb. It’s something you do. Not just who you are.” – Cheryl Lacey Donovan
2. “I think in a lot of ways unconditional love is a myth. My mom’s the only reason I know it’s a real thing.” – Conor Oberst
3. “To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.” – Dr. Seuss
4. “All that I am, or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” – Abraham Lincoln
5. ” A mom is like a teabag. You can’t tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
6. ” Motherhood has a very humanising effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials.” – Meryl Streep
7. “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” – Elder M. Russell Ballard
8. “A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.” – Irish Proverb
9. “Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world, a mother’s love is not.” – James Joyce
10. “No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother’s love.” – Edwin Chapin
11. “The influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.” – James E. Faust
12. “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” – Robert Browning
13. “A mother is your first friend, your best friend, your forever friend.”
14. “Mothers are like glue. Even when you can’t see them, they’re still holding the family together.” – Susan Gale
Here’s a little bit of Trivia about Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day is celebrated in over 40 countries worldwide, typically on the second Sunday of May. However, in the UK and Ireland, it is celebrated on the fourth Sunday of Lent, which falls somewhere from mid-March to mid-April. This date comes from a Christian tradition of celebrating Mothering Sunday, where people would return to their “mother church” in their hometowns.
In the US, Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1908 thanks to the efforts of Anna Jarvis who wanted to honour her own mother. Unlike the UK and Ireland, the US and many other countries celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday of May. It has grown to become one of the biggest holidays of the year, with people recognising and thanking their mothers for all they do, as we should!
15. “Mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled” – Emily Dickinson
16. “Motherhood is the exquisite inconvenience of being another person’s everything.”
17. “My Mother was my role model before I even knew what that word was.” – Lisa Leslie
18. “A mother understands what a child does not say.” – Jewish Proverb
19. “A mother is the one who fills your heart in the first place.” – Amy Tan
20. “My mother is a walking miracle.” – Leonardo DiCaprio
21. “The mother’s heart is the child’s school-room.” — Henry Ward Beecher
22.“A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” — Princess Diana
23. “Life doesn’t come with a manual. It comes with a mother.”
24. “My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.” – Michael Jordan
25. “A mother’s love is more beautiful than any fresh flower.” – Debasish Mridha
26. “A mother’s love endures through all.” – Washington Irving
27. “When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find.” – Mitch Albom
28. “A mother throws her heart over the fence and then climbs after it.” – Miranda July
29. “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” – Charley Benetto
30. “If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” – Milton Berle
31. “Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.” – Leroy Brownlow
32. “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” – Rudyard Kipling
33. “Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
34. “Mother: the most beautiful word on the lips of mankind.” – Kahil Gibran
35. “Moms are like buttons — they hold everything together.”
36. “I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is.” – Oprah
37. “The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children.” – Elaine Heffner
38. “Mothers hold their children’s hands for a short while, but their hearts forever.”
39. “If love is as sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love.” – Stevie Wonder
40. “There is no influence so powerful as that of the mother.” – Sara Josepha Hale
41. “There is nothing as sincere as a mother’s kiss.” – Saleem Sharma
42. “To the world, she is a Mom, but to me she is the world.”
In a world that can often feel chaotic and overwhelming, the unwavering love and support of a mother can bring a sense of calm and comfort like no other. These Mother’s Day quotes remind us that being a mother is the most important and rewarding job in the world. From the sacrifices they make to the endless encouragement and wisdom they provide, these extraordinary individuals have shaped and moulded us into the people we are today.
Even if we cannot be with them in person to celebrate this special day, we can honour and cherish their love through these powerful words. So take some time to reflect on the incredible bond you share with the mothers in your life and the countless ways they’ve shaped you into the person you are today. May these quotes not only inspire you to be grateful for the mothers in your life but also remind you to make it known how much they mean to you, not just on Mother’s Day but every day.
As we come to the end of this list of Mother’s Day quotes, we hope that you’ve found inspiration, comfort, and reflection in these timeless words. May they serve as a reminder of the love, care, and sacrifices that go into being a mother. Take this opportunity to show your appreciation and gratitude for all they do for you and your family. Happy Mother’s Day to all the amazing mothers out there!
To find more of our quotes – visit here.